To: Rex Tillerson
From: Robert Reich
Subject: The Moron
I can understand why you feel
Washington is a place of “petty nonsense,” as you said Wednesday when you
called a news conference to rebut charges that you called Trump a moron last
summer after a meeting of national security officials at the Pentagon.
I’m also reasonably sure you
called him a moron, which doesn’t make Washington any less petty. You probably
called him a moron because almost all of us out here in the rest of America
routinely call him that.
But you’re right: There are
far more important issues than the epithet you likely used to describe your
boss.
On the other hand, your
calling him a moron wouldn’t itself have mushroomed into a headline issue --
even in petty Washington -- if there weren’t deep concerns about the President’s
state of mind to begin with.
I bet every cabinet secretary
has from time to time called his boss a moron. I was a cabinet secretary once,
and although I don’t recall ever saying Bill Clinton was a moron, I might have
thought it when I found out about Monica Lewinsky. But Bill Clinton was no
moron.
The reason your moronic
comment about Trump made the headlines is that Trump really is a moron, in the
sense you probably meant it: He’s impulsive, mercurial, often cruel, and
pathologically narcissistic. Some psychologists who have studied his behavior
have concluded he’s a sociopath.
Washington is petty, but it’s
not nonsensical. It latches on to gaffes only when they reveal something
important. As journalist Michael Kinsley once said, "A gaffe is when a
politician tells the truth – some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say."
Face it. You are Secretary of
State – the nation’s chief diplomat – under a president who’s dangerously nuts.
Last weekend, for example,
Trump publicly said you were wasting your time trying to open talks with North
Korea. Does he have a better idea? Any rational president would ask his
Secretary of State to try to talk with Kim Jong-Un.
And there’s Iran. You and
Defense Secretary James Mattis have both stated the nuclear agreement should be
retained. That, too, is only rational. The International Atomic Energy Agency
says Iran has been honoring the agreement. Without it, Iran would restart its
nuclear program.
But Trump is on the verge of
decertifying the agreement in order to save face (in the 2016 campaign he
called it an “embarrassment to America”) and further puncture Barack Obama's
legacy. His narcissism is endangering the world.
You tried to mediate the
dispute between Qatar and its Arab neighbors. That, too, was the reasonable
thing to do.
But then Trump and his
son-in-law Jared Kushner sided with the United Arab Emirates, where they have
business interests. Less than one hour after you called for a “calm and
thoughtful dialogue” between Qatar and its neighbors, Trump blasted Qatar for
financing terrorism. That was also nuts.
You are rightly appalled at
Trump’s behavior. I can understand why you distanced yourself when Trump blamed
“both sides” for violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville. And
why you were horrified when Trump gave a wildly partisan speech to the Boy
Scouts of America, which you once headed.
Given all this, I’m not surprised to hear that you’ve talked about resigning, but that Mattis and John Kelly, the White House chief of staff, have talked you out of it.
Given all this, I’m not surprised to hear that you’ve talked about resigning, but that Mattis and John Kelly, the White House chief of staff, have talked you out of it.
I urge you not to resign.
America and the world need sane voices speaking into the ear of our
Narcissist-in-Chief. As Senator Bob Corker, Republican of Tennessee and
chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee said recently, it’s you, Mattis,
and Kelly who “help separate our country from chaos.” I don’t think Corker was
referring to chaos abroad.
Let Trump fire you if he wants
to. That would further reveal what a moron he is.
But if you really did want to
serve the best interests of this nation, there's another option you might want
to consider.
Quietly meet with Mattis,
Kelly, and Vice President Pence. Come up with a plan for getting most of the
cabinet to join in a letter to Congress saying Trump is unable to discharge the
duties of his office.
Under the 25th Amendment, that
would mean Trump is fired.
No comments:
Post a Comment